1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white concreted vent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by popsie, May 25, 2008.

1. popsie

popsie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    Can someone please help me? I'm not really sure what my chick has but I'll try to explain:

My chick is a 5 week old silkie - I bought the fertilized eggs from the Internet and hatched them myself - everything has been going wonderful until about 4 days ago I noticed one of them (I'll refer to him as a he from here on (as his name is Elvis)) - was caked around his bum and the underside of his belly in a white concrete like substance - he was a little off colour but still eating and running around - I immediately washed and picked it all off - his bum (vent) was sore and slightly open and I could see the pink inside although nothing seemed to be actually protruding- more just like the hole was open - anyway I separated him with another chick for company as one of the others was pecking at him.

I keep washing him and picking off the white stuff and when I do he does have a normal like poo and even after this he poos although sometimes i catch him straining and nothing coming - by the way I am putting vaseline around the vent area.

I may be way off the mark but I read that a normal poo is brown tipped with white (the white being the urine) - so I came to the conclusion that Elvis may be constipated and the white concrete is really just urine? - I put him on yoghurt and chick crumb (still the same) - I gave him a few drops of olive oil twice yesterday but I'm not even sure that he is constipated - the poos he does have seems a good consistency?

It's just this concrete white stuff sticking to him - he is really perky now too - if you couldn't see all this you wouldn't think anything was wrong - but it just doesn't get any better and now I'm running out of ideas.

Someone please help if you know how - sorry for the long post I'm just trying to cover everything.

2. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    I'm very new at this so maybe someone with more experience will come along soon with help.
    But that being said, I had one chick with pasty butt and the first couple days after cleaning her up and olive oiling her she still would act like she was straining to go. That was almost 3 weeks ago, and she's fine and healthy and active today. So I would say it's probably just a reaction to having been caked up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by