white coturnix quail, male/female

Discussion in 'Quail' started by alln7220, Jul 11, 2011.

1. alln7220

alln7220 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    how do i tell if my white couturnix are male or female. of the 12 i bought as babies, 2 are white. they hit 7 weeks old a couple days ago and both got beat up. they are now by them selfs. no eggs

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds like they are males, i'd put one of the others, hopefully a female, with him and see what happens, should start crowing soon anyway, it'll be obvious enough O.O

3. alln7220

May 3, 2010
    one laid an egg today. does size make a difference. one is a lot smaller and both are the same age.

4. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i don't think it matters to much, the 4 females i have, one lays a tiny egg and the others lay slightly larger

only thing i've seen that is different is the really big double yolk eggs :O

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DO A BYC SEARCH FOR "BEER SEXING" THAT SHOULD COVER IT PRETTY GOOD

6. alln7220

May 3, 2010
    but is there a difference in size of males and females

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NOT RELIABLY SO... IN MOST CASES MALES ARE A TAD SMALLER THAN FEMALES, BUT I WOULD NEVER TELL A ROOKIE THAT AS A SEXING GUIDE.... WAY TOO OPEN FOR INTERPRETATION AND NEEDS EXPERIENCE AND EXTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THE ACTUAL BIRDS BEING SEXED (MEANING YOU HATCHED THEM AND KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THEIR LIFE SINCE BIRTH) SIMPLY BEING 4 DAYS DIFFERENCE IN AGE CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD WITH YOUNG COTURNIX AS THEIR GROWTH RATE IS UNBELIEVEABLE... SO FOR ME TO SAY THE SMALLEST 1 IS A MALE MAY BE WAY OFF IF YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT?

WITH ANY OF THE TIBETAN OR RANGE COLORATIONS AND THE WHITES THE BEST METHOD IS OBSERVATION... ESPECIALLY IF YOUR NEW TO THE SPECES. SOME WILL TELL YOU TO VENT SEX BIRDS.... ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO VENT SEX QUAIL (AS IT WOULD BE DONE ON OTHER SPECES WHERE YOU ACTUALLY VISUALIZE THE ORGANS THEMSELVES IN THE VENT OPENING- OR LACK THEREOF) MOST CONSIDER VENT SEXING QUAIL LOOKING FOR THE ENLARGED GLANDS ABOVE THE VENT ON MALES OR MAKING THE BIRD PRODUCE FOAM EXCREMENT, BUT TO THE NEWBIE THIS CAN BE CONFUSING AND IF THE BIRDS ARENT IN BREEDING MODE MAY NOT EVEN BE VISIBLE TO THE EXPERIENCED EYE, NOT TO MENTION THAT RECENTLY BRED FEMALES WILL HAVE FOAM IN THEIR VENT [​IMG] ... MALES WILL START TO CROW AT AN EARLIER AGE THAN THESE "VENT" SIGNS... BEER SEXING IS THE EASIEST AND MOST ACCURATE WAY FOR FOLKS NOT ACCOMPLISHED WITH QUAIL IN COLORS THAT CANNOT BE SEXED VISUALLY (BREAST FEATHERING)

AND LETS FACE IT WHO CANT USE A BEER NOW AND AGAIN? [​IMG]

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Either way ya go, good luck and....BOTTOMS UP!!! [​IMG] Bill

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:Either way ya go, good luck and....BOTTOMS UP!!! [​IMG] Bill