White Coturnix Quail question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MamaManda, Dec 2, 2011.

1. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    I have a small flock of 10 Coturnix quail. One is all white. The white one and 7 of the others are about 5-6 months old.
    I went to feed a couple weeks ago, and found my white one all puffed up in the corner. I picked her up and found her to be very lathargic, eyes closed. I brought it in to my bathroom and put it in a box with a heating pad and towel. Didn't look like it would make it thru the night. I got on BYC looking for a miracle cure from the pros, and decided to water down some food, add Apple Cider Vinegar and feed with a dropper. I set a timer and fed her at 1 hour intervals through the night. She quickly regained her strength over the next day, began eating/drinking on her own and remained alert.

I re-introduced her to the flock a couple days later, and went to check on her about 4 hours later. The other quail had already given her a bloody head, no feathers. She was laying on her side in the dust bath pan, almost dead again. Arg.

I brought her BACK inside, started dropper feeding again, and have her back to health. Feathers are coming in nicely. I put her in a clear glass tank with a screen lid, and placed it in the cage with the other quail to see what happened. Didn't notice anything unusual. I took her out 2 days ago and put her in the pen with the others while I fed. My 2 y.o. male would NOT leave the white one alone. Jumped all over the cage after it, pecked it's head, made it frantic. I separated them and tried again yesterday, no difference. The white one acts very frantic and smacks into the sides of the coop trying to get away from the others. (mostly the male) Pretty sure it's going to kill itself from the bashing if the others don't peck it to death first.

Here's my questions:

1. I don't know how to tell if the white Coturnix are Male or Female. I haven't heard it call like my male, or try to mate the hens, but also haven't been watching very closely. He/She was actually given to me because the breeder didn't know what it was. I see a few of you have the white variety. Care to educate me?

2. Is it mostly possible that my white one is a male and the two males simply do not get along well? My known male is about a year older that the white coturnix.

3. Do you think I am going to have to rehome him? It is looking like he's the weakling in the flock and the other guys are simply higher in the pecking order. Although, this seems odd to me, since they've all lived together with my original 2 year old pair since the chicks were 6 weeks old. Why would he suddenly not be able to live with them?
    I think the breeder would take him back. Maybe.

Thanks for your insight! [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    At 5-6 months you should be able to vent sex. Does your white make a funny sound at All? Check the vent. Is it round and bulbous and does foam comes out? If answered yes to any of the two questions you have a male.

I would feel the keel and see if your white is thin At all. If you feel the breast bone something is wrong. Separate him/her from the gangs. Get some sulmet from the feedstore and put it in the water. That should aid any illness. You can put him in a tank with a lamp to help with metabolism and provide food and water until he is back to normal. He/she may need his own flock as reintroducing may be hard. For now hospital ward time.

3. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    Oh yes, forgot to mention that's another thing I noticed, she's lost weight. I have a heating pad in her tank, and will look into the sulmet. Thanks for the sexing tips. I'll take a look in the morning!

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Weight loss: that's why I asked if you can feel her keel [​IMG] ok. She needs to be in the hospital ward and fattened up. You may want to get some wazine at the feedstore (it's a wormer) and give it to all birds in the water. If you have access to pumpkin you can give that to them as well (natural dewormer).

Sulmet in the water for your white champ though, heat pack/lamp, it's own feed and water, did I forget anything?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by