White Crested Black Polish egg clutch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PlayTheGame, Oct 18, 2019.

1. PlayTheGame

PlayTheGame In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2019
    The Ol OK
    I am hatching out another clutch of WCBP. It is going well. All look healthy so far and active. One weird thing, One is solid black. I have never had this before. Is this a fluke? Will the baby change color? Am I blessed with a pure black white crested polish and if so what will the baby be called, a Black Crested black polish? They are not quite one day old.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It would just be a black polish.

3. PlayTheGame

Mar 25, 2019
    The Ol OK
    chick.jpg I have never had this happen before. Is it a normal fluke?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've had both varieties. Black and White Crested Black but I never bred for long.
    Others may chime in but I doubt it is extremely uncommon.
    For the last 10 years I've been breeding an all black variety of an extremely rare breed. (much rarer than Polish). And even though I haven't had any other birds on the property for 8 years nor ever crossed them with anything else, about 10% of my chicks come out either speckled white like an Ancona or chipmunky and grow out to have a lot of brown. I believe those are throwbacks to prior to 1980 when they went from various random colors of landrace fowl to being developed into 4 distinct varieties.

5. PlayTheGame

Mar 25, 2019
    The Ol OK
    This little black one is the only one like it. I don't mind I just was not expecting it lol. The baby is much smaller than the others also. All my birds of this type are standard polish and all are White crested blacks. I also have Brahmas which are huge but they are not with the polish

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMO, it is just a fluke that I don't think is that uncommon. After all, I think the white capped was developed from blacks.
    If you hatch often enough, you'll see all sorts of aberrations.
    I usually hatch between 100 and 200 eggs a year. I once hatched a chick with 3 legs. I thought it was amazing but the University vet school told me it wasn't really uncommon either.

7. PlayTheGame

Mar 25, 2019
    The Ol OK
    Did the 3 legged on survive?

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No. One leg came out of the vent. Another was a club foot. There was only one functioning leg. I put it down right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: