1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Crested Black Polish getting plucked, advise please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheLyonPride, May 10, 2011.

1. TheLyonPride

TheLyonPride Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I know there are a lot of topics, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question...

I have a crested Polish who at first I thought was getting plucked by the others, of all ages. She is 5 weeks old and cooped with other breeds ranging in age from 3-5 weeks. I have noticed that many of the other chicks will preen her head feathers for her. Well, once they get going it eventually gets a little rough and feathers get plucked. On occasion, one will even begin plucking her on purpose. We have her separated in her own area with chicken wire so she can still see the others, but I know she is still very lonely.

What can I do to prevent this? She doesn't fight back, she just preens and wiggles around if the other pullets are bothering her. This has to be causing her some stress. And I don't want he to be bald. I have put vasoline on it, but it eventually gets all the other feathers goopy and weighted down. She can see fine, so I don't need to trim around her eyes. She is just so mellow that they are all abusing her. Any advise would be much appreciated. Our family loves her and has named her "Lady Gaga". I couldn't bear to give her away.

thanks so much. I feel like I have more problems at this than a newbie should be having.

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Hmm, she sounds like the very bottom of the pecking order. I haven't experienced this so I can't offer any help but I hope someone will come along [​IMG]
    Good Luck!
    QP

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
  4. TheLyonPride

TheLyonPride Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the link. That helps a lot. I will set out to find some stuff to put on her and tie up her hair. I hope it helps. I don't know how you are all so good at finding these threads. I get lost after a while of looking. Thanks again. Here's hoping Lady Gaga merges in well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by