1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

White Crested? Might I be correct?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmyinNC, May 13, 2010.

1. AmyinNC

AmyinNC In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    We originally thought we had 2 pekins. Well, turns out we have only 1 pekin. From all the research I've done here and at other sites, it looks like he (I'm pretty confident) is a white crested? Just need some more experienced duckie owners to confirm please. Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Technically its just a crested pekin. I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong, to be called white crested the crest has to be really big, bigger than in the picture.

3. AmyinNC

AmyinNC In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Thank you VERY much! I'm all new to this.....can't ya tell [​IMG]

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Plus it is good if you have a male and a female. When breeding crested ducks you want one crested duck and one non crested. If you breed two cresteds together then most of the babies will die when hatching.

5. AmyinNC

AmyinNC In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Wow, I had no idea! I have so much to learn still. Thankfully, it does seem we have a female and male. The female quacks like crazy, and the male is still developing his quiet quack between peeping. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Don't feel bad....the guys at our local poultry auction opened a box with ducks in it and proceeded to tell everyone that they were POLISH ducks! My daughter and I were laughing so hard. These people figure Polish chickens have poofy heads then ducks with poofy heads must be Polish ducks! They were simply Crested mallards lol.

I can easily see your confusion though. I have found several places online that sell or talk about Crested Ducks, as if its a totally different breed.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. ksj0225

ksj0225 In the Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Amy I'm in Greenville NC, where are you located?

8. AmyinNC

AmyinNC In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Sunangel, LOL, ok so now I don't feel so bad. I need that all about ducks book for dummies that I saw at Barnes & Noble last week...HAHA!

ksj, no way?!?! i'm in kinston...just right up the road from you. too cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by