White Crested Polish Bantom Care

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Roy Rooster, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi Everyone, I am branching beyond the Orphingtons next spring and have ordered 4 White Crested Polish Bantom chicks.

This is the first time that I have kept a bantam or crested breed of any kind. Currently I have been keeping a flock of Buff Orphingtons
    for 6 years now. For those who are experienced with this breed can you please answer a few questions for me.

1. I know that the crest mites are the biggest challenge with the crested breeds. I also know that prevention is better than a cure.
    can you tell me what you do to prevent the mites in the crest? I have heard that some people use frontline, is that for dog
    or cat, and how much do you use?

2. I understand that keeping the crest dry is very important. They will have a covered coop and run protected from rain, beyond
    that what else do I need to do to keep their crests from getting wet.

3. Can this breed be free ranged? I have a wooden privacy fenced in backyard so they are well protected from dogs and so forth.

4. I currently have 10 Buff Orpington hens, can the polish breeds free range with them?

5. Any other information that you have give me in addition to my question would be great. I am new with this breed any tips
    I can get will further help me be a good bantam polish keeper.

Thanks for much for your time,
    Roy and flock

Here are some pics of my current backyard set up, this is where they will be free ranging if it is safe for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Just a Tidbit of info from me.......Some times other Birds will not except Crested Birds....Pluck all the feathers off their heads......Even silkies are not easily mixed with others Birds........

Cheers!

3. chickens really

Also adding Birds of another colour can totally cause aggression in a flock...........

4. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, if I have them their own corders would that be okay? Would I be able to have multiple breeds is they each had their
    own space to roam?

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Yikes, so does that mean that I cannot order black and white silkies at the same time? Would I have to have seperate
    brooders if I did that?

Would silkies and polish birds be able to share the same brooder then put them in their own coops when they move outside?

6. chickens really

Yes.......That would work...Also Polish Crested are way more flighty than Orpingtons........

7. chickens really

Yeah.....Yikes......As Chicks it might work?

Keep an eye on pecking...........

Cheers!

8. chickens really

I love Orpington......So easy......Zero conflicts.........

Cheers!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure the color difference(black and white and red and buff) is really an issue, nothing is black and white haha!

But crested birds often can't see well because of those crests....

......which kinda breaks my heart,
    (same as dogs bred with smashed faces whose tongues are too big for their mouths,
    and nasal passages so deformed they can hardly breathe),
    but I digress......

.....those crests inhibiting eyesight can make them skittish and more prone to being attacked by flock mates as well as predators.

Frontline I would recommend against unless these birds are purely pets and you never plan to eat their eggs or meat.

10. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Thank you for your post. So frontline is not a good choice if we want to eat the eggs. Can you tell me what would be a good chose that would take care
    of the mites and still allow us to eat eggs?

I use Eprinex on my Buff Orphingtons, but the pour on is probably a bit too runny I don't want to get it in the eyes. What is recommended then?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by