white crested polish getting head feathers plucked!!! HELP...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueheaven, Aug 21, 2011.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    my other chix are making the white crested polish pullets head bleed. they are plucking her feathers.
    any advise???

what can i put on her head?
    how can i get the other 12 chix to stop?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    This is a common problem...and why I keep my polish separate from the others. And it can cause death as well so I would remove her ASAP (especially if she is bleeding!) and possibly get another polish or silkie even for her.

3. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i have no where for her. she has to be in with the others...

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    i have no where for her. she has to be in with the others...

Can you find a temporary cage someplace...know someone with a dog kennel you could borrow? Or another possibility is to give her away [​IMG] I know it may be hard but it may save her life. I have a feeling she won't last long in there. If she is bleeding she will NOT last at all in there. Chicken are cannibalistic and LOVE blood and will not stop picking at her.

You may want to find a "hospital cage" is what I call them for these type of things. It happens often with chickens and sometimes they need to be removed from the flock for some reason or another. I would suggest making one ( I made all mine and they are made out of 2x2's and hardware cloth...easy to make and I can make one in a day. And it's pretty cheap too [​IMG] Good luck!! Hope you are able to find a cage. Wish you lived close to me I have a couple rabbit cages I use for that and I could run one over to ya.

FYI: Keep an eye out at rummage sales...I got my rabbit cages for 5 bucks and they are like new condition [​IMG] That way you can keep them IN the coop but still protected at the same time so the others will still see her around.​

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    x2 - You should invest in a hospital cage. I was told it is something you must have. If you ever have a sick or injured bird you need a place for them to recover. If money is tight (I know mine is) then check craigslist, garage sales or google something called "Free Cycle" there is probably a group in your area that you can join. Its basically an email group of folks who give away things they dont need anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by