White crusty spots on comb tips - treatment advice needed

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
My d'uccle rooster has a weird crusty patch that started on one tip of his comb and now appears to be on more of the tips. At first I thought it was cottage cheese residue but realized it wont pull off. He has been in a heated garage all winter that has not been below 35 degrees.

What could it be? Has anyone seen something like this before and is it contagious to my hen? How to treat? TIA!

20200119_153240.jpg 20200119_153345.jpg Screenshot_20200119-154146_Gallery.jpg

Looks like frostbite to me. *shrugs* Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea.

That occurred to me too, but since he has been in a heated garage, I thought not. However, I did not take into account how high the humidity levels must get when we pull our wet cars in everyday...if it is frostbite, will the tips die and not grow back? :(

Yikes! If anyone thinks there is anything I can still do at this point to help him keep his comb tips, I'm definitely open to advice (if it's not too late!)

It looks very minor to me. I've had roosters (and I live in a VERY cold place) that have lost a lot. Some people say put vaseline on it. Others say not to. I just leave it.

Back
Top Bottom