White Danish and Toulouse Goose Temperment and general Q

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Dec 8, 2010.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I will be ordering a couple geese and a few ducks this spring. We are wanting to have a random flock of birds. Currently we have a Rouen Drake and a Black Swedish drake.
    We will be ordering from Bergs Hatchery again.
    I am trying to find out the temperments of these geese. I can read stuff online but I would like some advice from people I can actally chat too. Do you think the Toulouse and White Danish goose will get on okay. When introducing small ones to the current flock (of 2) how do you think the transition will be. Who do you think will be the leader of the pack.

I only have experience in raising my Canada goose (goosey) who I loved and who thought I was her momma (I was). She followed me everywhere and used to sleep on my feet. She flew away this fall but I hope she will be back this spring. The goose was more receptive to me than the ducks so overall I find geese to be friendlier.

Any insight or advice would be great!

Thanks
    Tish

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I don't have any personal experience with those two breeds, but thought I'd chime in as to your gender ratios. IME, ganders and drakes can sometimes clash. If you obtain geese it may be a good idea to go with a heavy ratio of geese to ganders to help alleviate the likelihood that your current drake-heavy ratio will cause further problems come breeding season.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    The White Danish is an industrial production breed very similar to Embden. I wouldn't know how to tell the difference.

All the geese I've had have been White Danish; the last pair supposedly with some Faroese Goose mixed in. That last pair was very aggressive, but the other ones were docile and sweet (well, as docile and sweet as geese can get). They get big and fat. From what I've read about Toulouse, the two breeds should be able to get on well together, being similar in size.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:

5. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I don't know a thing about White Danish but I do know I have three Toulouse that adores chickens and has a love affair with a rooster! They aren't aggressive unless someone comes in their territory. I would keep them separate from each other if they are grown but let them get use to each other through a fence, if possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by