White Dominant/Recessive Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rdl, Dec 24, 2009.

1. rdl

rdl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2009
    I purchased white rocks from McMurray. Are they white dominant or white recessive?

I have two huge white rock roosters that I would like to cross with some New Hampshire hens. What would the offspring look like?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, since this shows as your first post, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

I a not an expert by far. Hopefully someone who is will answer your question. Since a White Rock hen can be used to make a red sex link, I'd assume the white is dominant, but I am not 100% sure.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Assuming white is dominant, all first generation crosses will be white. The second generation crosses (cross a first generation rooster with a first generation pullet) could get interesting with reds, golds, whites, and I believe possibly black, with various themes of the wheaten pattern possible.

It will be interesting to see what a real expert says.

3. rdl

rdl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2009
    Thanks! That helps though I am having a bit of trouble understanding this.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you want to get into genetics, I recommend this link. It appears overwhelming at first, but as you read and play with it, you get better. I warn you , it can be addictive.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

For your case, if you select dominant white for the rooster and red for the hen in the top of this link, then, on the right, select go to calculator. Then scroll down just a bit and click on calculate crossing. You will see the predicted offspring, all white. But if you then select continue with this male and continue with this female, then calculate that crossing, you will see the options that open up. I again warn you, it can be addictive.

5. bantamF

bantamF Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    France
    Hello,

Dominant White X Other colors = White
    Recessive White X Others colors = Others colors + Dominant genes and white if in the others colors white is dominant !!

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
  7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:White Rock hens need a "Silver Factor" in order to make sex-links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by