1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White duck molts to buff?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OR4-hmom, Nov 19, 2013.

1. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I was talking to a friend the other day, she had a white duck move onto her pond. They had to repair the outflow so they caught the ducks before draining the pond. While the white duck was contained in the run she molted and is now buff colored. Any guesses on her breed? She now wants more.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Hard to say, could be a large array of breeds including a mix. Any pics?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When we adopted Hazel, she was pearl white. But we knew she was a Buff, with bleached feathers. Once she molted, they came in buff colored.

Here is a picture of Romy and Michele.

[​IMG]
    Romy, in front, had not molted in nearly a year.

4. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    My Khaki Campbells seem to change feather patterns with each molt.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Zwei, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Zwei 2011

I cannot find a Zwei 2013, but her head has gone almost completely white now.

1 person likes this.
  6. JetCityVerde

JetCityVerde Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Rat City, Jet City, WA
    We were just out of town for a few days and when we got back noticed that our all black duck - Gladys - looks like she's been plucked for pillows and has white spots all over now.

We got her late last spring, and this spring she molted out her black crest and it came back in white and brown. I'm assuming this is a molt, too, but it seems really extreme. She just looks terrible. This is our first full year with the ducks, so we're still getting used to all of this. The others have been blowing feathers, but don't look as bad as poor Gladys.

Any thoughts?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Did she seem to be getting ready to molt before you left? Sometimes going without food for a day or two can precipitate a molt - not casting accusations, just thinking out loud.

8. JetCityVerde

JetCityVerde Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Rat City, Jet City, WA
    She's been eating normally that we've seen, and we had a housesitter who was feeding them while we were gone. They've all been dropping feather this past week or so, including Gladys, but then poof, all gone and white down now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by