White ducks turning yellow

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Edingerfarm, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Edingerfarm

Edingerfarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    I have two ducks, that are about 4 to 5 months old. They are white, Pekin I assume. They are turning pale yellow and one of them is losing her white feathers. One is more yellow, her whole breast and her bottom is pale yellow. Any ideas on why, or is this normal?

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Could be a few things. Are you sure they are Pekin? They might be a different breed or mix and it could be their natural color. Birds will go through a few mini molts in their juvenile phase so that would explain the changes as they grew.

White birds can turn yellow with a lot of sun exposure. If you are in the northern hemisphere the feather lose is probably just normal molting. It is a little late in the year but as long as she is healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry about that.

It may also be related to diet. What are they eating?

Could also be staining if it is mostly on the underside. If they are constantly laying in something that could stain the feathers that would be where it would touch the feathers the most.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When Zwei was younger, she turned a creamy yellow, once. I never did figure out exactly what it was, but it passed after a while. I made sure to check her over, by the way . . . no problems with her oil gland, her stool, her behavior, or appetite.

Zwei is one of my Runners. Technically she is chocolate, but she's mostly white.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a 2 year old White Call......She is only white after a moult....Now she has a yellow tinge to her feathers,,,Seems to be the older feathers that turn yellow?

I don't think it is anything to worry about......My Husband just pointed this out to me.....If you use well water, depending on the type of water you have and if it turns your white sinks yellow? That is why my White Duck turns yellow....I have the water system in my house water but not outside.......lol......I feel so SILLY!!!

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  5. Edingerfarm

Sep 16, 2015
    [​IMG] This is the duck in question. I think it has to be the corn they are eating. What should
    I include in their diet?

6. Edingerfarm

Sep 16, 2015
    [​IMG] another view of her.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I feed old style scratch grains, it has less corn.....Oat and Barley crumble..and Grower crumble..Plus free range and fresh veggies...

It could be from the corn.......My White duck is not as yellow....

Cheers!

8. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Yep, excessive corn has been found to turn white birds yellow. Corn doesn't really provide good nutritional value. It's good at winter time for providing extra calories as they expend more energy staying warm but it shouldn't be their main diet. If you can get it, a good mixed flock feed would meet their needs better. I like Purina All Flock and provide it for my ducks and chickens. (Free choice oyster shell for those that are laying). If you can't find that, chicken feed is fine. Just remember they should only get the laying blend when they are actually laying.

BTW, your ducks face in the second picture is just adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by