white dust on heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NANDO, Apr 5, 2009.

1. NANDO

NANDO New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    I have 40 coturnix quails in my basement 3 weeks old and I notice a white dust on top of heat lamp and all over.don`t think it`s lice or mites.can new feathers do this or any ideas.[​IMG]:[​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It's just a part of raising birds. It happens. Just wipe it off and forget about it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. NANDO

NANDO New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    thank you ,that`s what I was hopping it was.my first hatch:)

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    No problem! The first time I had chicks in my brooder I couldn't figure out why I had to dust the furniture everyday. They sure can kick up a lot of dust.

5. HilltopFarm

HilltopFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    I noticed thew same thing on my light today,only after 4 days and theres that much dust!!

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it is chicken dander. it is not just dirt or dust, but true dander.

don't just wipe it off, turn the lamp off and let it cool first! the bulb can explode if not cooled first.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, dander is the proper term and part of raising chickens. Some of the problem (dust) comes from the bedding.

The brooder is an important vehicle to be able to transition the chicks before they reach the coop. Being prepared is more important than starting....learning the results is priceless..eh?

Just part of raising a happy healthy flock. [​IMG]

~ bigzio

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    This dust if not wiped off can catch fire so try to do it often. It sparks, falls and the bedding can catch. One lady on here had it to happened. It also gets on the light not just the reflector. I cut mine off a few minutes to cool and use a duster that catches the dust. It is a bit sticky sometimes. In the coop i do the same thing. Jean

9. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Mine almost caught fire falling off the nail and onto the screen I had covering my brooder. Moral of story? Keep the lights clean and well attached!! [​IMG]

10. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Yep, lots of white dust here!! Not from the chicks either....well yet.....my 13 house birds instead [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by