1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White ear lobes on RIR pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nessmuk53, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Nessmuk53

Nessmuk53 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    This may be a goofy question, but here goes. I have 23 RIR pullets (22 weeks old) and one of them has developed distinctly white ear lobes. These are not pets and are not really handled at all. She appears to be healthy, acts normally, and has started laying (she laid an egg today actually). My question is, could this be a fungal growth that I should check for or do production RIR red pullets from the big hatcheries occasionally have white ear lobes? I have checked the lists of diseases on various sites and really can't find anything that describes this as a symptom of anything fungal or viral.

2. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I'm not sure what to advise without seeing a picture of your hens lobes. I did want to say though that the red color fades as they lay eggs because it's taking everything to lay the egg. So if this is what you are talking about then this is a normal thing.

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Does she lay a white egg? I believe that with white earlobes the eggs should be white. If she isn't laying a white egg then there is something else going on.

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I Have a RIR whose earlobes started turning white sometime within the first year, although I can't recall at exactly what age. She continued to lay large brown eggs almost every day despite the change in ear lobe color. The change in color made no difference in egg color or production.

5. Nessmuk53

Nessmuk53 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. She is laying brown eggs. I guess I will just keep an eye on her. She seems fine in all respects. I guess that it could just be a quirk in her genetics.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I first thought mine was getting sick when I noticed the change, but she was fine.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It happens. I'm convinced that in production RIR's from hatcheries, there are a few leghorn great great grand parents floating around that give that occasional white earlobe bird.

8. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I noticed this happening in my girls as well. One day when one of my girls was sitting on my lap I watched her earlobe turn from white to pink! I think it just has to do with egg-laying taking a lot out of their little bodies. Their ears turn from white to red and back very often.

9. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    While watching my chickens, I have noticed a trend and it rings true for the hens as well as the roos... If they are relaxed and content, their combs, wattles, faces and earlobes start "losing color"... Depending in how happy and calm they are, they almost lose color completely... BUT, if they are running around, being pet or otherwise (on the lookout), they get bright red... I have even noticed my roos combs turning purple when he gets mad or upset! I honestly thought something was wrong because I always heard and read that if their combs turned purple, it was a sign of a resp infection.. But, when he calms down, it goes back to normal color...

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by