White earlobes normal? Also black marks on wattle?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hennsifer, Mar 7, 2017.

1. hennsifer

hennsifer New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hi,

This is my first post and we are the newest of newbies. Just wondered if the white earlobes on our golden Comets are normal? We just got them and already have two Barred Plymouth Rock hens and their wattles and earlobes are all red. I haven't been able to find a photo of other golden Comets with white earlobes. Also, they have a bit of black on their wattles but they aren't bumps so I don't think it is fowl pox. Any ideas? I'm mostly wondering because the hens were all laying great (3 are layers, one is still a bit young), but now I think the two golden Comets have stopped laying. Like I said, they are recent additions, but they were laying great the first week after we introduced them. I don't think anyone is broody. I'm trying to make sure the water stays clean and that the other hens aren't keeping the new hens from food or water. What else should I watch for? Thanks for any advice, I sure do love these hens so much already!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I wish I could see the rest of the chicken----for sure does not look like a golden comet to me, also looks like a chicken house chicken or its been eating a lot on a hard surface----beek is cut down looking.

The white ear lobes are different than a comet to me too. What color eggs does she lay?

3. hennsifer

hennsifer New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    Wow, I hadn't thought to consider they weren't golden Comets, but since we are such novices it would not surprise me if that is the case. Oh boy. We bought them from a fellow who had them in a chicken house, I noticed that about the beek too. She lays brown eggs. Let me see if I have another photo. Do these give you a better idea? [​IMG][​IMG]

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Now these look like Golden Comets---the other pic earlier made them look a darker red. You good. Chicken houses usually sell all and replace at least ever 2 years because their egg production starts slowing down. They chop the beaks to keep them from pecking/pulling feathers, etc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by