White easter egger or buff Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kathleens1979, Mar 26, 2015.

1. kathleens1979

kathleens1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    Hanna City, Il
    Ok guys- I caved while at Big R and bought a chick I THOUGHT might be a white EE. It was in the "araucana" pullets bin (EEs from Mt. Healthy), but the same bin also had Buff Orps pullets in it too. This baby was a lighter yellow than anyone and has puffy cheeks (muffs), but her legs are yellow. Thoughts? I couldn't resist- we already have a white EE hen and she is a favorite. Hoping this one is another white EE! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    My thoughts?

I don't know, but those legs don't look yellow on my computer; they look EE colored!

How does the comb look? Spikes (Orpington) or smooth-ish (EE)? Got a magnifying glass? My computer is leaning toward no spikes, but you have the chick right with you and can see better than I can.

I think you called it correctly! [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm leaning toward Ee and agree the comb should tell the story. Sawteeth mean straight, a flattish spot pea comb.

4. Jynestia

Jynestia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Can I tack on a follow up question? Are all EE yellow?

I just bought what I was told were 3 Auracana's (EE's right?) but they are dead on identical to the Welsummers in another post... which were in the same mixed bin with the Auracanas. They do have the smooth combs though, and tan feet instead of yellow.

5. kathleens1979

Aug 3, 2014
    Hanna City, Il
    All good thoughts/ comments. Here is a pic of her comb- [​IMG]
    So hard to tell. Looks like nothing is there. Her legs are not yellow upon further inspection- more like a tanish greenish color.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. kathleens1979

Aug 3, 2014
    Hanna City, Il
    Most EEs are chipmunk striped (in my experience), but they can be any color. Our first EEs we hatched were all different, and one was a solid yellow chick who turned out to be Snowflake, our white EE hen who lays a pale bluish egg. White is recessive in Ameraucanas, so I suspect it is recessive in Snowflake. None of her babies have been white. I'm not sure exactly what the adult feathering was like because I sold them as chicks, but they were not solid yellow. I'm just on the hunt for another white EE.

7. kathleens1979

Aug 3, 2014
    Hanna City, Il
    Here is the comb of an ISA brown pullet chick: [​IMG] Potential EEs comb does not look like that. I see what you guys were saying. I never thought to compare combs!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's an Easter Egger. The greenish legs are a dead giveaway.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by