white egg but used to lay brown egg does anyone know why....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leo123fish, Sep 18, 2012.

1. leo123fish

leo123fish New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    hi all.... i have 6 brown chickens and they layed brown eggs but one of them have started to lay a white egg... when i poach the egg the yolk seperated from the white.and sometimethe white is thin like water.. is there a reason for this....
    thank you

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The more fresh the egg, the thicker the egg white.

As for the colour change -I didn't think it was possible. At least not from everything I've read. There could be calcium deposits that lighten the shell, but the entire egg shell changing from brown to white? Never heard of it.

[​IMG]
    This is what I mean by calcium deposits.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm pretty sure that would be cross posting - which is against the rules.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Brown coloration is merely a superficial, thin coating on what would otherwise be a white egg. That's all there is to it. If the inkjets run dry or plugged, the printer spits out a white piece of paper. Chickens are known to vary how much brown thin coat gets applied to the egg at the paint booth, and sometimes, they don't really get painted at all.

I know of no way of remedying the situation.

As for the quality of the egg itself, provide good, high quality feed. That's all you can do.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The hen gets the pigment to color the egg shell brown from what she eats but also from her body. It depends some on her diet, but it is really common, pretty much expected actually, for a hen's eggs to gradually get lighter the longer she lays. She uses up that store of pigment as she lays. When a hen molts, she will recharge her store of pigment so when she starts laying again her eggs are really dark.

This is pretty obvious on a hen that has yellow skin. She will start out with yellow legs, a yellow vent, and yellow many other places. There is a specific sequence, but her yellow body parts will get lighter, practically turning to white, as she uses that pigment for her egg shells. When she molts, those body parts turn yellow again as she restores that pigment.

I have had some hens start out laying a medium dark brown egg but just before they molt, that egg has become really pale. It's not really white, especially if you have a true white egg to compare it to, but without something to compare them to, they can look really close to white.

There is nothing unusual or abnormal about this. This process is so gradual you don't notice it going on then all of a sudden you see what you think is a white egg.

Here is what the Egg Quality Handbook says about watery whites. This is written for commercial operations but a whole lot of this can apply to us. As you can see, watery whites can be caused by a lot of different things. Some typical causes are older hens, eggs stored a long time, especially in low humidity or high temperatures, or rough handling. But you can see what they say about all that.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/30/watery-whites

Good luck!!!

7. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY, Sorry I am not sure why[​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, leo123fish, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Hope you get your egg conundrum sorted out!

9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    thanks for asking. i learned something :)

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! Sorry, my chickens barely started laying so I've not experienced that before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by