1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White egg layer??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BIG-BIRD, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BIG-BIRD

BIG-BIRD Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    I have I think 6 different kinds of brown egg laying birds, but yesterday I got a white egg, from one of the birds, I do have white birds, but they have red earlobes and should be laying brown eggs, but maybe just a fluke or not? [​IMG]

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Is the egg 'grocery store white' or just off white? I know I've gotten off white eggs from my brown egg layers.

I think the folks on here say that if the ear lobes of the chicken are white than it will lay white eggs. And there aren't many breeds that lay true white eggs. I think that leghorns and campines do.

Maybe it was just a fluke... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, the shades of brown can be light enough to almost look white, however if you were to place a white store egg next to it you will notice it is not white.

bigzio

4. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    So what's up with mine?? [​IMG]

I posted a thread this morning about my garage laying hen, and also included this pic:

[​IMG]

Now I have already ate those eggs, but heck, I think I have pure white, even with the other brown eggs, it's rather white!!

Funny thing about my girls, I had only one yesterday as mentioned the hen layed it in the garage, however I kept them in the run and coop today for the freater part of the day and when I checked this afternoon, I had four more, one of which was another white one!

This is the newest set which 5 of these (4 today and one yesterday included todays run included a white egg) I included a folded up piece of paper as a white reference and mine does appear to be a true white.

[​IMG]

5. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Are you sure someone is not playinga joke on you and puttinga store bought egg in there?

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That is MOST CERTAINLY a WHITE egg!!!
    Wow...Looks like there was a Leghorn in the woodpile...
    Just to be a pain, these are the white egg layers:

Ancona
    Blue Andalusian
    Campine
    Catalana
    Crevecoeur
    Dorking
    Hamburg
    Holland
    Houdan
    La Fleche
    Lakenvelder
    Lamona
    Leghorn
    Minorca
    Modern Game
    Old English Game
    Polish
    Redcap
    Sicilian Buttercup
    Silkie
    Sultan
    Sumatra
    WFB Spanish
    Yokohama

But as in everything else, there is always an exception to the rule.
    Obelisk lays Pink Eggs
    Slifer laid light Yellow
    Penny lays a light Tan.

7. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    I'm fairly sure that I do in fact have a couple leghorns, I swear I have done some stupid things but I will never buy 13 chicks at Orscheln's "chickdays" when there only description is "Rare Breed"; Oh and these are my first chickens too!! Nothing like a challange!

Gee no one took up my offer for free roo's, my girls are getting worn out with the 8+ roos' !!

8. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    look for any chicken that has white earlobes as opposed to red - that is a white egg layer. my EE - who i wanted blue or green eggs from, has white earlobes, so she will be laying white eggs :mad:

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

With EE's all bets are off...you could get blue, green, pink, a purple brown or a light tan or a mud brown...depends on which roo got ahold of the mother hen.

10. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, good idea to get rid of the extra roos real soon. the stress all the roos cause will hurt the hens if allowed to continue too long.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by