White egg laying dual purpose birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajlynco, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I'm going to raise BR's and RIR's for eggs and meat but was wondering which breed is ideal for dual purpose, lays white eggs, has an even temperment, and is weather hardy? [​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Possibly the Norwegian jaehorn (think I am spelling that breed right). They are very winter tolerant, lay nice sized white eggs, and seem 'meatier' than leghorns or other white egg laying breeds.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have Calif White...egg every single day....

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Maybe it's me but I doubt a California White will give much meat.

Houdans were originally THE dual purpose breed that lays white eggs but thanks to hatcheries that isn't true anymore. . . . Finding a white egg laying dual purpose bird these days is hard honestly. I'd say tamper around with cross-breeding. Find some decent Houdans (there's a guy on BYC here with some decent bodied stock, he sells hatching eggs) and cross them to your biggest light brown layer, and work from there.

However if your RIR's and BR's are from a hatchery, go ahead and settle with any Houdan. Hatchery BR's and RIR's are bred for egg laying only, so you're not gonna get much meat - And the Houdans will give about as much as them. [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:You are correct Illia...she is not very large...I answered too quickly to realize she is a great layer, but not for the table...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by