White Egg Mystery

Discussion in 'Quail' started by danalovesdogs, Jul 6, 2019.

1. danalovesdogs

danalovesdogs In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2019
    Connecticut
    Hello!
    I'm rather new to owning quail, so I'd appreciate some insight on this topic. One of three hens in my larger cage laid an egg completely devoid of pigment, except for a little smear on the fat part of the egg. When I opened the egg, I also found that it lacked a membrane. All three of my hens have laid in the past, but recently I've been getting only one egg a day. I was wondering if this white egg meant there was some dysfunction in the reproductive system of one of the hens, and if there was anything I could do to help her out. They do have constant access to high protein feed and oyster shells, and all other eggs I've been getting are normal. Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome As long as all are apparently healthy, I would guess that she is just about to take a break in her laying cycle.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Where (about) in the world are you? What's your weather like?

danalovesdogs and Quail_r_fun like this.
  4. danalovesdogs

danalovesdogs In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2019
    Connecticut
    I’m in Connecticut, where it’s been around mid 80’s in the day and mid 60’s at night. We’ve started getting more eggs from that cage, though, so hopefully it was just a one-off oddball!

Quail_r_fun and Texas Kiki like this.
  5. Quail_r_fun

Quail_r_fun Hatching

Jul 7, 2019
    I have coturnix quail and I think twice I got a completely white eggs. Which I thought was strange but I guess there is just a few weird eggs in every bunch.

danalovesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: