White Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jf1234, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jf1234

jf1234 In the Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    North yorkshire
    Hooray! last week my 2 welsummers started to lay. Getting an egg from them each day, very happy indeed.

BUT, one of my girls is laying pure WHITE eggs.???? Welsummer I know are supposed to lay dark terracotta eggs.

Is this because of their age - only 20-22 weeks and the colour will go the terracota colour in time.
    Any one have any ideas.

These are my first chucks, and I'm spending too much time watching them, they are hilarious.

hopeful for ideas!!!

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    What color are her ears? Brown leghorns look an awful lot like Wellies and do lay white eggs.Wellies don't lay white-what ever color they begin laying is the color they will lay

3. jf1234

jf1234 In the Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    North yorkshire
    Hi
    thanks for the reply.
    Her ears are reddy pink, and quite fleshy and the small feathers above are beigy brown.
    She is a very pretty welsummer, I have been comparing her to photos on the web, she has a lovely golden brown neck, more colourful
    than my other welsummer, who is a bit plain but she lays nice brown eggs!
    I am new to having chucks, two lovely pets with the added bonus of a brown or white egg.

enjoying every day with them.

4. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Songster

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Could be recessive genes, but if I remember the brown egg color is applied to a white shell, whereas the blue egg shells are blue throughout. It may be that her coloring mechanism's development is not yet complete, or maybe it is defective. Most brown egg layers lay lighter and lighter eggs as the season progresses. Right now my Cuckoo Marans has a medium brown egg with a dark brown dot on the narrow end. She started with lovely deep brown eggs last March, and now is nearly a year old. Poor girl is all sun bleached by the TX sun. The only eggs that have retained most of their color are from my EEs, one is blue and one is pink.
    If you are not breeding Welsummers, then there should be no reason to cull. If you were breeding, she shouldn't be bred since egg color is a critical characteristic of the breed. A pet is a pet, and no need to be hard hearted.
    Julie

5. jf1234

jf1234 In the Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    North yorkshire
    Hi

I am also thinking the white egg is a throw back from her ancestors, being orginally breed from several breeds, notably a leghorn, Nora does look a bit like a brown leghorn, very yellow tinged neck. Granted she is only 22 weeks, she has only laid 3 smallish white eggs, will she increase this amount? Her sister has laid 9 eggs in the same time. The family are really enjoying the eggs and eat them very quickly - could do with some more. Any ideas to increase production, or is all down to mother nature.
    Jayne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: