white egg ??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by misfitfarm, Aug 5, 2011.

1. misfitfarm

misfitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    My 23 week old americauna started laying finally and the eggs are white. Is that correct? I thought she would lay tinted eggs.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Could it have been laid by one of your leghorns? It might be bluish, greenish or brown, but I wouldn't have thought white!

3. misfitfarm

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    That's what I thought also! I have been getting two little pullet sized eggs for a week now and assumed it was from my little leghorns. I was out checking for eggs and caught my americauna laying. When she moved there was this little white egg!
    Now I don't know what to think [​IMG] Could it be possible for the egg to change color as she gets older?

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    If you bought her at a feed store or hatchery, then she is an EE and can lay white eggs. EEs are of mixed parentage so they can lay white, brown, pink, or the expected blue/green. [​IMG] I have several and think they are great.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yup agreed EE will lay white, green, brown, etc.....

6. misfitfarm

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    N&MSchroeder :

If you bought her at a feed store or hatchery, then she is an EE and can lay white eggs. EEs are of mixed parentage so they can lay white, brown, pink, or the expected blue/green. [​IMG] I have several and think they are great.

I did buy all my little girls from a feed store! Ahhhhhhh so it makes sense now! But a bummer I was hoping for little tinted eggs. [​IMG] Well where should I order new chicks from so I get tinted eggs? I love the color of my little EE she is cute. [​IMG]

7. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    EEs are great and you may still get blue or green eggs from your other pullets. [​IMG] If you want a blue/green egg guarantee, then find a reputable Ameraucana breeder and buy one that meets the breed standards. [​IMG]

8. misfitfarm

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    My other pullets are Black Australorpes, silver laced, and leghorns so I won't be getting any tinted eggs [​IMG]

9. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I bought some at tractor supply this spring and was greatly disappointed when they started laying! White and light brown.

10. misfitfarm

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    I guess next time I will order from a reputable breeder. If anyone knows of one near Iowa please let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by