White egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by isdo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. isdo

isdo New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    My family has chickens and they're a little over 7 months. We have 3 barred Rocks and 3 Rhode Island Reds. Today when I checked their nesting boxes, one of them had a printer paper white egg. I suspect it was from our Chicken Lillith as she seems to own that nesting box so to speak. Is a sudden change from brown to whtite eggs a sign of anything?

It's been super cold here, so we've had their light on the past 2 nights, but we bought a red bulb for them for tonight.
    Will a red bulb still keep them warm but allow our girls to sleep?

2. LuvMyChicks1491

LuvMyChicks1491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Central New York
    If they are old enough to lay eggs then they should be fully feathered. They shouldn't need any lights at night. They should be able to keep themselves warm through the night. It was -15 last night here and my girls were fine. If you think that you need to have a light the red light is better. The red light won't bother them at night so they'll be able to sleep.

As for the egg turning white I can't help you there.

3. isdo

isdo New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    We hit -15 here too. I really just don't want to wake up and have to thaw the chickens. Hopefully the red light will put my mind at ease

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have Barred Rocks and New Hampshire Reds. The eggs vary in color from dark brown to almost white for no apparent reason. They all taste the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by