White eggs from a red-sex link???? (pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuskokaChick, Jul 28, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I got 11 red sex links in April. All laying brown beautiful eggs.

I got 13 more red sex links in July and 9 to 10 of them are laying now, but I am getting this from one of the hens.

Why are they white?

????

[​IMG]

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    show us a Pic of Her,,But I am guesssing that it is white Because sex links have been breed white white leghorns,.

3. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 24 of them, I don't know which one is doing it and they all look the same...

*shrug*

She would be 18 weeks this week.

4. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I thought red sex links were a cross between RIR and something else (can't remember)

?
    s

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The "something else" can be one of several hens (all brown egg layers):

Red sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware hen.​

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    some brown egg layers have some color thing missing and they can lay white eggs. may be all the time or just occasionally. sometimes that can be a light tan and just look white until you compare to a really white egg.

or you have a leghorn disguised as a red sex link. maybe some red hair dye?

7. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Quote:lol maybe eh.

They look pure white and doesn't have that smooth finish like the other eggs...like it is missing a coat of something...hard, but feel a bit rougher than the browns

thanks...

8. 1776

1776 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    i have a Golden Sex-link and she lays off white eggs... kinda tint of green...

I was wondering the same thing if it really is a Golden Sex-link... she looks totally white with a hint of yellow undercoating...

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since the term Red Sex Link or Gold Sex Link isn't a breed, nor is the "formula" shared, that is, what the parent stock was is almost always unknown, there's a lot of confusion in speaking about them as if all Red Sex Links were the the same. They are not. It simply means that they are reddish in their mixture and they are able to be appearance sexed at hatch. That is about all anyone knows. Since most of these birds are hatchery/feed store birds, it isn't likely one will ever know.

But it is quite possible the brown coating is not being put on the egg.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  10. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Fred's Hens :

Since the term Red Sex Link or Gold Sex Link isn't a breed, nor is the "formula" shared, that is, what the parent stock was is almost always unknown, there's a lot of confusion in speaking about them as if all Red Sex Links were the the same. They are not. It simply means that they are reddish in their mixture and they are able to be appearance sexed at hatch. That is about all anyone knows. Since most of these birds are hatchery/feed store birds, it isn't likely one will ever know.

But it is quite possible the brown coating is not being put on the egg.

yes these birds are from a hatchery, 15 week ready to lay.

*shrug* just a mystery I guess.

Just don't think I can put them in with the brown eggs I sell...I guess I am eating those

thanks!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by