white eggs from Barred Rock pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldemmert, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ldemmert

ldemmert Out Of The Brooder

I have 5 9 month old Barred Rock pullets which have been laying beautiful tan eggs steadily for 3 months. Now one seems to have run out of color. The first time this happened she'd also run out of calcium (or maybe sunshine/vitamin D). The shell was very thin; that recovered, but the eggs are still a very, very light tan. The eggs are bigger the others'.
    What's happening?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've heard that the egg color gets lighter with time, and that it "resets" after a molt. She could be coming into a molt?

3. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Interesting. [​IMG] I started getting an almost white egg a few days ago. I wonder if it's from my barred rock too. No molting allowed!!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    someone posted a few days ago that hatchery BR are crossed at some point with leghorns to get production birds. My BR's eggs were very light in color, nearly pink sometimes.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Barred Rocks lay the lightest of the brown eggs we get.

Perhaps this one has a little exchequer leghorn in it's ancestry.

6. ldemmert

ldemmert Out Of The Brooder

9 months; spring. When should I expect a molt? I suppose that could be happening. I haven't seen extra feathers, but I'll be looking now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by