White Eggs got me stumped - What really are my breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lionessT, Jan 26, 2011.

1. lionessT

lionessT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Northern CA
    So I got my first 2 eggs this morning - yay! [​IMG] BUT.... they were both white. When we purchased the chicks we were told we had a Rhode Island White, a Red Sexlink and a EE.
    My supposive Rhode Island White looks nothing like the pictures here in the breed section. And it is my understanding that both Red Sexlinks and Rhode Island White's lay brown eggs?

Here are pictures of my 3 chickens... what do you think they are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    #1 Production Red
    #2 EE
    #3 Leghorn
    #2 and #3 would lay the white eggs.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    The previous poster was correct on breeds and it is likely the Easteregger lays a white egg, and it is a given the Leghorn does as well. The sex-link red hen will have a brown egg.

4. lionessT

Aug 23, 2010
    Northern CA
    M to the Maxx - thank you so much for the info. Is a production Red and a Red sexlink the same??
    I'm totally happy with all my chickens regardless of breed, and happy I'm getting eggs. They are all very friendly and let you hold them etc. The EE is the least social but still is very nice. However, is it common that feed stores sell you incorrect breeds??

I assume all 3 breeds are good consistant layers?

5. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I agree with poster number 2. 2 And 3 will lay white eggs. EE can lay any color egg. You are only guaranteed a blue if you have a pure ameraucana or araucana. EE can lay white, brown, blue/green, pink, olive (course then would be an olive egger). It all depends on the parentage of your pullet.

6. iplsmama

iplsmama Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Yes, it is my experience that the feed stores generally don't have a clue! Ha ha, really I don't think I got anything that they said I got when I bought mine at Atwood's last yr. I thought I had barred rocks and they turned into Leghorns. I didn't even know that Leghorn came in other colors! I'm learning!!

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Sorry I meant to put #2 and #3 would lay the white eggs.

8. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Quote:Production red is hatchery Rhode island red. While a red sexlink is a mixed breed layer created by hatcheries. Out of the 3 breeds the worst layer will probably be the ee but they still lay fairly well. People at the feed stores tend to not pay much attention and chicks can get put back in wrong bins on accident.

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    #1 and #3 have white ear lobes which generally means they will lay white eggs. I had "barred rocks" that really confused me when they started laying white hens. Folks on here and calling the hatchery where TSC got the chicks from helped me figure out that I actually had California Grays. Apparently there are a few exceptions to the white ear lobes vs red ear lobes but any mixed breed can be an exception. As far as the easter egger: Do they lay very white eggs or light tinted? Which kind of eggs are you getting? At least they are laying!!!

10. lionessT

Aug 23, 2010
    Northern CA
    Carolyn - I got 2 eggs and have the 3 chickens. Both eggs are white. According to the breed section here my Production Red should lay brown eggs. So I'm thinking that either my Leghorn layed both of them within a 24 hour period or the EE and Leghorn layed one each.

I'm a bit bummed if my EE is indeed laying white, we were really looking forward to seeing a blue, pink or green eggs. I guess only time will tell. On the other hand I'm super excited that we are even getting eggs!! I beleive they are about 5-6 months old now, and I wasn't expected eggs until the weather warmed up a bit towards March or April.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by