White eggs...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LeaLandHouse, Dec 28, 2013.

1. LeaLandHouse

LeaLandHouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    North Bay, Ont
    We've been getting some White Eggs in our aviary.
    We have a number of different breeds together
    Standard Brown Courtnix, Beige (something or other), Texas A&M, Himalayan and a Bob White...
    We're not in front of the Aviary 24-7 so when we find the eggs we're not sure which ones are laying them
    We've started up the incubator again and have them in there...along with some abnormally large standard spotted eggs.
    2 of the white eggs are quite large & almost conical with a pointy tip. The other is teeenie tiny and white too...MY husband thinks the Larger conical ones are bob white...
    What are your views...
    Also we removed the male bob whites and segregated them from the others. They were too aggressive with the others in the aviary...and almost killed some of the others by pecking on them...so we're wondering if the male court...would have fertilized the BobWhite female...
    Thanks everyone

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The white eggs will be from the bobwhite. It is unlikely that breeds are crossing and breeding.

And yes, Bobwhites are far too aggressive to keep with other species. :)

3. thinkloically

thinkloically Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Frisco,Texas
    Be careful with your Bobwhite...I suggest you keep them in a different pen/coop/cage.

4. LeaLandHouse

Jul 1, 2013
    North Bay, Ont
    thanks for the clarification and insight...

As far as cross breeding...the Beige (something or other) have hatched out with a muddled beige and brown court...look to them...We candled the conical egg in the incubator and it appears there is something growing .. we'll know the second week of Jan what we have...if there is anything at all..our candling techniques are amateurish at best...but we're on a learning curve here...

5. LeaLandHouse

Jul 1, 2013
    North Bay, Ont
    the female bob white is very gregarious in with the other quail...the males are the aggressive ones and are in a separate cage...we had one female and 4 males....we've had to further segregate one of the males from the others as he was very aggressive...so he's on his own...we'll sell him off to someone to free up the additional cage...thanks for you input...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by