1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White eye discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by math ace, Nov 30, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a one year old easter egger hen. There have been no new additions to the flock. There has been no change in the food.

Today, I noticed that she had a white discharge coming from her eye.
    The side of her eye was all wet and red and inflamed.

I cleaned up her face with a warm wash rag.
    I did some goggle searches for images and did not see any.
    I did some BYC searches and don't see anything that fits my situation.

I don't hear any congrestions or sneezing. I do not see any nasal discharges.
    I don't smell any fowl / bad odors.

She still feels pretty solid. So, at this point I am assuming she is still eating and drinking.

Any idea what and how to treat her ? ? ?

I have terramycian ointment, Tylan 50 and Duramycian powder on hand.

THANKS for any advice.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you might try the ointment. She could have gotten something in the eye that has caused this. I'd hold off on oral antibiotics if your not seeing any other symptoms

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. Echoinghills

Echoinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    NE OHIO
    I would also do the eye ointment and just keep an eye on her for other symptoms to appear. It really does sound like she got some debris or an irritation in her eye. [​IMG]

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Lisa, I would go ahead and give 1cc of the tylan 50 and give some of the duramycin in the water. The sooner you give the medications the better. Keep putting the eye ointment in the eye so it will stay open, if it stays closed for very long might lose an eye. Don

5. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Her eye is looking better tonight. [​IMG]

I know I am not out of the woods yet, but it is a good sign that within 24 hours it is no longer draining the white infection.

She is eating and drinking just fine, too.

Poops are looking just fine.

No foul smell coming from her.

Because she has is an EE, she has all this fluff near her eye. We did trim some of that this morning before administering the ointment.

6. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Her eye continues to look better.

We are on Day 2 with antibotics and eye ointment. She is eating and drinking very well.

She is started to shed / lose feathers.
    Is this most likely the result of stress from being separated / treated ? ?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Most likely molt if she hasnt done so already in the past few months. The next thing I'd check for is lice/mites.

8. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    NONE of my birds have molted as mature birds [​IMG]

I've never seen feathers on the ground from any of the 15 laying hens.

Isn't kinda late for them to start molting now? ?? After all, the temps are going to be in the 30's for the next 3 weeks!

I'll check for little bugs tomorrow. . . I've been doing random checks on my flock and haven't spotted any.

Lordy, I won't be happy over lice or mites on top of everything else and . . . it . . .is . . sooo o. . . COLD outside !

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yes. It seems it's a little late for molt, but now that you said you've never seen feathers on the ground...guess what lol. Mine finished about 2 weeks ago thankfully, whew! I'd rather deal with molt than lice/mites, ugh. You can give your EE some scrambled egg in her feed as often as you wish during her molt. She'll need the extra protein to regrow feathers and keep her strength up during this cold snap we're having. If she goes into a full blown molt (almost bare naked,) you might consider bringing her in your garage in the evening and put her in a cage or crate. You could let her out in the yard in the mornings after sunup.

10. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I put her on chick starter for the extra protein as soon as I noticed the eye infection . . .
    She is in the house at nights already. That way I can do the eye ointment in the mornings and evenings without freeezing to death.

I have been letting her go out during the daytime [​IMG][​IMG]

So, it looks like I will not change anything for a full blown molt. TONS of feathers are coming out.
    Dear lord, she is going to be one naked chicken in a few days. Did she not get the memo about the cold weather ? ? ? ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by