White eyes and yellow diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kizzski, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kizzski

kizzski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    My pullet is lethargic with the whites of her eyes showing and yellow diarrhea. Any idea what this could be?

No vets here will treat chickens. :(

2. kizzski

Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone? She looks like she's on her way out. [​IMG]

3. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. kizzski

Jun 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Just listless. I've got some water in to her with a dropper and put her in a cage. She doesn't seem that gummed up with poop. Does she have to be to be egg bound?

I have somebody bringing me anti biotics, de wormer and electrolytes today but will struggle to get anything else as we live on an island.

5. kizzski

Jun 23, 2015
    While I'm here - is there a particularly good website for chicken medicines that people use? I live in the butt end of nowhere and rely on the Internet for most things.

6. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Have you set her in a warm bath to clean the vent area? Have you inspected it for anything abnormal after cleaning? Have you felt her abdomen to check and make sure she is not swollen? Is she just listless or looking lethargic? Is she eating? Is she drinking? Is she laying and when was the last time she laid and egg? When was the last time she was wormed? What type of feed does she get?

Sorry for all the questions but need more to go on.

7. kizzski

Jun 23, 2015
    She's not eating or drinking but I'm giving it to her with a dropper.

She's definitely not egg bound, I just checked.

She's on an organic layer pellet and kitchen scraps.

I've no idea when she last laid, we did have two shelless eggs a couple of days ago.

She's not been wormed ever.

Thanks so much for your questions!

8. kizzski

Jun 23, 2015
    Her comb is dropping and she's just lying down now with her eyes shut. If she was egg bound I'd feel the egg with an internal exam right?

9. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    To be honest I'm not a vet or an expert. When you don't know what is wrong you have to start narrowing things down and ruling things out. Antibiotics are a last resort and reserved when you have a confirmed bacterial infection and you know the antibiotic your using will help that particular strain. so...

The first thing I would do is get started on a Coccidiostat such as Corid (Amprolium). So that is one thing you will need to get. Corid is used to treat coccidiosis. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it .

Also you will probably want to get a wormer. I use Safeguard with the active ingredient Fenbendazole as it treats most worms.

In the meantime, Get her separated from the rest of the flock and keep her warm. Give her warm fluids to drink even if you have to give it to her orally. Warm as you can get it and still be comfortable on your wrist. Fluids are more important than food right now. Check her crop as well and feel for anything unusual as that can be important. If you feel she can't get enough fluids in her you may have to tube feed it. Here is some information so you can gather the needed supplies if you have to go that route.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Read through the posted links and videos. Page 2 has a great picture from @casportpony so you know where to place the syringe or tube so you don't aspirate her.

10. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Yes if you applied a lubricant and checked just inside her vent you should feel an egg if there was one in there. That should rule out egg binding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by