white faced black spanish genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jarcoo0153, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I was needing to know if the WFBS's white face is dominate, my banty WFBS got with my standard EE and was curious if the chicks would have white faces?

2. omahalostpunk

omahalostpunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Council Bluffs
    I got no clue but curious to know if it is a dominate gene

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    [​IMG] bump

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Honestly, I'm not sure...I know that if you breed them to something with white earlobes already the chicks will also have white...and I know that someone here was working on white faced COCHINS a few years back...and as I can recall the resulting birds did have white lobes...

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I would think it is dominant, but in the F1 outcrossings you'd get a more Minorca looking face - The skin would probably be pale, but the earlobes would be moderately large in size.

6. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Ok ,I can answer this one ,I have crossed WFBS with other breeds. No, the white face is not dominate, none of the f1 will have white faces, at all. If you cross them with a red ear lobe bird, the f1's will have red earlobes with a lot of white showing in them, and red faces. Also, the giant earlobes and wattles are not dominant, either. F1's will take after the other breed mostly in regards to the face coloring, etc. If you wanted to get the white face into another breed, just take your f1's and cross them, eventually, you will get some white faced birds showing up, or, cross the f1's back to the pure spanish parent.

7. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    How long does it take the Spanish to get their white faces. I have some I got over the summer as day olds and they still haven't got white faces they have large earlobs, but no white faces. I have been wondering how long it takes.

8. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:It takes a little over a year to fully develope

9. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    Quote:It takes a little over a year to fully develope

Thanks so much. I almost sold them all off as culls. I am glad I didn't now. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by