White Faced Black Spanish Weirdo (Chick or Dude?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alittlebirdytoldme, Nov 17, 2010.

1. alittlebirdytoldme

alittlebirdytoldme New Egg

Nov 27, 2008
    Meet Esmerelda, a 7 month old "Hen" we picked up over the summer. Initially she was very flighty, terrified even, and very very shy. About a month ago, around the same time her teeny little nothing comb grew to a big flopped over thing seemingly overnight, she suddenly became very bold and brazen, no longer fearing the other hens, or the humans, and squawking strangely and boisterously, very suddenly. This drastic change in behavior, coupled with her suddenly huge comb, growing earlobes and wattles made us wonder if she was in fact a she. Let me know what you think...

Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3
    Photo 4

2. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
    I have one just like that, changed seemingly overnight. She changed just before she started to lay. I also have three hens that use to look identical. Just before they started to lay, that changed. One still has a tiny comb, one has a huge comb and one is in between. At least now, I can tell them apart.
    I would think, if she was a he you would have heard crowing by now. [​IMG]

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah I agree...

Can't see any saddle feathers too well, but if they are pointy instead of rounded edges, you might have a boy. But I still vote chicky girl

and not a weirdo! lol. Very Very pretty!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  5. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
  6. chicky2009

chicky2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    Hen.

7. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:I was thinking the same. Minorcas look much like a White-faced black Spanish, note the comparison they included on the page. It's common fro the two to get mixed up. It couldn't be a Leghorn, because the Leghorn's legs are a bright yellow rather than the slate gray that this hen possesses.

8. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    She looks a lot like my Minorca too. My Minorca acts a little crazy. There was a few times I was thinking she was a roo but she is now laying. Pretty bird.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    She could be a Minorca also I know that some of the hatchery Leghorns have been coming with off color legs...

Chris

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Definatley not a white faced black spanish. I have them and they don't look anything like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by