White Faced Black Spanish?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Griffox, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I got some BO and BR eggs from some locals. They threw in some little white eggs with the batch. They have lots of breeds, but most of them are separated into breeding pens. They do have quite a few white faced black spanish running around, so I thought the eggs must have been from them. But now their new feathers have quite a bit of white in them. Has anyone raised WFBS? What do they look like as chicks?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
  3. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I went looking for pics of my ancona. I only found one at 3 weeks, and one at 12 weeks. Yours is a lot more black than mine was young, so I don't know. Your chick's legs are also a different color. Maybe she's a mix? Here's my ancona:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    doesn't look like white faced black spanish to me!!

5. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's a WFBS.

6. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    my WFBS started off black, and took some time to get a white face

7. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The feet...there is a breed that has the white feet like that...I just can't remember what it is!

I've seen it before...but I just can't remember. It'll come to me around 2:00AM tonight while I'm sleeping.

meanwhile, have you checked Minorcas? It's definitely along those lines because of the white earlobes. Arg this is frustrating that I can't remember...

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    It's not a black minorca either. Their down is black black, and they don't have any light coloring on their cheeks and neck like that. My three are just starting to lay, and they looked nothing like that. Plus their feet and legs are black.

9. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Really? My chicks, especially my females came out with black down along with white markings on their faces with the down.

That birds legs are black, but the feet are white. I wonder if it's a mutant mottled WFB or Minorca? That'd be a neat thing to see!

When you say "little" eggs, do you mean bantam-sized eggs or eggs that are smaller than standard-sized eggs?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  10. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Hmmmm mikarod, I went looking back through my pictures, and the only one I have a pic of at about that age does have some white on her face, (though not as much as the OP's chick) and light color on her feet. I did have two though who had less white, black combs for months, and black black on their feet. They weren't my favorite like this one was though, so I guess I didn't do their portraits. [​IMG]

I'm curious to watch your little chick grow up, Griffox, to see what she turns into!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by