White Faced Black Spanish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Engteacher, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    I'm really curious about this breed, so I thought it'd be good to start a thread. Anyone have these birds? Other than on the breeds page, I don't see much written about them. I love the way the roos look, but they seem to be more of a laying bird than a dual purpose. I know they're rare, but someone in this community must be an expert or a devotee of this breed.

Here's to the White Faced Black Spanish!

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    i think my rooster is half white faced black spanish

3. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    They don't do well in the extreme cold. A warm climate bird.
    I think they are beautiful.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    I have raised White Faced Black Spanish for some time. I have had both Bantams and large. Currently I am only breeding the Largefowl and am putting lots of work into them to increase vigor. I also have one White Faced Blue Spanish that I am going to incorporate into my blacks this year. Yes they are not that common at all and the ones that the hatheries are selling are a bunch of junk. There are a few good ones out there but they are few and far between. I really like them as an egg laying breed but they are not considered a dual purpose breed. They fit in the category with Leghorns and Minorcas so are not the calmest birds on earth. That is my take on them

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Could someone post pics?

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I just hatched some from Terry Lund. I am very excited to have them, as they are listed as, "critical," on the endangered list. They lay extra large sized eggs. I don't really know much about them. There is a picture at Cackle hatchery ..

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/whtfacedblkspanishbantam.htm

I think there is also a White Faced White Spanish, isn't there?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    They're beautiful [​IMG] Can't have because of frost [​IMG]

8. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    sure you can have them in cold climates! We are in Wisconsin (USA) and it is currently -2 degrees and doing fine! I have a heat lamp hanging in each pen and they lay under that for warmth.

silversong likes this.
  9. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Kathy, what do they look like as chicks. They have cool looking faces as adult. Do you have the bantams and do the bantams lay big eggs too?

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

No bantams here. I have the large standard size. Though, I believe Terry has both. If you see on his website ... his birds are prize winners!
    Here are a couple of the Spanish I hatched ..
    [​IMG]

Here are my Spanish that are 25 days old:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by