White faced whistling duck info

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by nurglechicken, Jan 22, 2013.

1. nurglechicken

nurglechicken New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Hello! New to the whole duck thing here and was wondering if anyone could give me info on the White Faced Whistling Duck. If I had two pair how big of an aviary would I need? Also, do they spend much time on the water as opposed to the land? Most pics I see of them are on land. Any other info would be appreciated. Thanx

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm no expert on them.....I have a pair. I really enjoy them.and would like to find more. Mine are in a 16 x 30 pen along with my Mandrains....Ring Teal and Wood ducks.
    Mine.spend more time on land. They have perches etc...but still prefer to wall around. They do spend a fair time around the ponds edge. They get along pretty well with my other ducks...can be a little bossy but not aggressive. Mine come.close to me and beg. I love the noises they make....they are a cool little duck.

3. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Pretty much exactly what chickenzoo said, they are my favorites and they make amazing noises. They will need to be at least 2 pairs to a pen because they like to be in groups. 50 ft per pair is all they need but the bigger the better. Mine loved it when the water ran out of the pool and they could dabble in it as opposed to swimming in it. They also love to perch and get on top of things. Good luck!n;)

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Agree with everything said so far, but need to add that those big feet need protection from the cold!! Here in MO, I would not let mine out if the winter temps were below 20. Same went with the other Whistlers, those feet can be sensitive in the cold states.

My personal birds were moved to a barn with other cold-weather sensitive species that had enough heat to stay above freezing and back to their normal aviary once I knew the lengthy or extreme swings were over. The ones I worked with at a zoo were off exhibit from late October to April, but allowed outside access on days like today and locked in on nights like tonight (it was 50 this afternoon, going to be 8 by morning). I typically followed the same routine at home.

Best of luck, they perhaps the coolest waterfowl species of them all!!!

Dan

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Thanks Dan...... Us Floridans often forget that cold is colder than 32...... Lol

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. aldren90

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    True dat chickenzoo! :lol:

7. nurglechicken

nurglechicken New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Wow! thanx for the great info guys! So, in Oregon, the weather will drop below freezing for a few days at a time but not usually for long stretches. If, say, the weather gets to 25 for a night would I need to bring them in to a heated area or just provide an enclosed area with deep straw in their pen? Thats good to hear Aldren that they only need about 50 square feet per pair. I am thinking now of building a 10X16 aviary so I guess two pair should be ok in there? Thanx again guys!

8. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Now that's just rubbing it in!!! [​IMG]

Although I am excited to see what birds may get pushed down with this strong cold front overnight, should be an interesting, single-digit temp birding day tomorrow.

A plus is that this species can tame easily and even crate trained with some work (another cold weather zoo trick), but if you had an area within or just off to the side of the area that you can place straw in and a heat lamp, you might be ok out there. Birds are pretty tough, it's the long stretches & extreme temps that seem to zap the tropical species. We had a stretch back in January 04 where it never got above 10 for nearly 3 weeks (I know, folks in MN & WI are saying that's nothing!!), I felt bad for even the cold hardy species. Without protection, a cold stretch like that would certainly kill the sensitive species and the least, cause frost bite to the webbing of the feet. If you're gonna hit a 25 for a brief period, I think you will be fine as long as it gets above freezing quickly in the morning.

You're going to love this species, I can brag on them enough!! I miss hearing their "whistles" every morning, they have such great personalities and just fun to be around.

Dan

9. aldren90

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    You could even put 3pr in a 10x16 the more the better with this species and you should have a good genetic diversity with more than 1 pr! Hope you do great they are my favorite species, like Dan I can't brag enough. Oh, by the way I'm getting a pr of eyetons next week and this wil be my first with them and they are my favorite looking of the tree ducks and am sssoooo excited to get them! :D

10. nurglechicken

nurglechicken New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Awesome! Thanx again guys! Hey, just curious, how deep should the pond be for these guys?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by