White Feathers Copper Black marans

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
What are your expectations for breeding Copper Black Marans in regards to having a few white feathers? Or a few feathers that have white tips? Acceptable?

Quote:
But what if you were getting consistent #6 eggs on the marans chart from these birds well into their laying cycle? You could breed the white feathers out of them in subsequent generations.

If I was breeding Marans, dark egg color would be the number one characteristic I bred for. Feather color would be a lesser consideration.

If I was buying eggs from you I would be much happier hatching out hens that laid DARK eggs, and had some white tipped feathers, than hens with perfect color feathers and laid a lighter egg.

No reason you can't have both conformation and egg color. If the bird doesn't meet the breed criteria it isn't a Marans though. Dark eggs are only part of what makes a Marans, a Marans.

You can breed white tips out "eventually". So, if you are in this for the long haul, you are part way there and careful mating and selection will take you the rest of the way. Be aware that white can be a real problem to deal with.

You have to understand, at the stage I am at with Marans I would not risk breeding a bird like that back into my line no matter how good the egg color. It would simply take me years to undo the dilution.

I also personally have to disagree with those who say concentrate on egg color. The hardest part is body/feather conformation and egg color is easy to manipulate from there. Many birds out there have feathering that is far to tight and overall bad conformation. North America has a long ways to go before Marans will be consistent enough to be included in the APA and only a handful of breeders seriously working to that end.

I can only answer the question honestly and based on my own experience.

Quote:
It's well known that it is usually a challenge to have multiple different desired traits into the same animal. An animal that looks "beautiful" but produces/behaves poorly or vice versa is a very common theme throughout domesticated animals. It's not that easy.

I'm curious. How common are reliable #6> egg producing hens in America?

If you are speaking of lines from real Marans breeders #5 - 6 is common. If you include hatchery stock then I would say not common.

Once you go beyond a 6 then they are a challenge to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom