1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White fluid that comes out of duck's vent

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckman4450, Nov 14, 2014.

1. duckman4450

duckman4450 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2012
    My mallard Gabby has this white fluid that drips from her vent, but this only happens when she is petted/scratched on the back. It smells pretty poopy and is sometimes thick and very white, but sometimes thinner and more transparent. Other than that this never happens. Is this a cause for concern? Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes not much at all comes out. She lays an egg a day every single day if that matters. Here is a video to show you, this amount is not much compared to some other times.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is normal discharge from a sexually mature duck.

3. TracyLovesDucks

TracyLovesDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Yep, she thinks that she is being mounted; you can tell because of the position she takes (lowering herself to the ground, stretching her neck out, and sticking her butt up). So her cloaca produces lubrication as a response. You could watch some vids of mating ducks on youtube, and then you'll see.

She looks healthy :) And cute!

4. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    Very old thread but my 26 wk Cayuga, Fiona, just started this today while getting petted. Still no eggs from her, quacks LOUDLY and often.....but have really wanted an egg as 100% confirmation of gender. So I'm guessing this pre-mating lubrication is a female only thing?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Seems to be.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by