white FOAM on my chicken's eyes. She has a avian pox HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovinganimals, Aug 22, 2014.

1. lovinganimals

lovinganimals New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    PLEASE, I need help!! I do not know what to do. This morning my chicken had a white thing on her eye. I freaked out and I removed it. Now, her eye is kind of red and has a small white FOAM[​IMG]

again. Am I supposed to remove it? or should I leave it there. SHe got the avian pox like 2 weeks ago[​IMG]. Please, any suggestions will be appreciated. There are not avian vets in my area and when I took the other chicken they gave her antibiotics [​IMG]( which she did not need them).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Chickens have a 3 rd eyelid called the nictitating membrane that starts at the front of the eye and covers the eye front to back, and it is white and thin. I have no idea what you removed, if it was pus or whatever, but may sure not to disturb this membrane since it is a natural covering for the eyes to protect it from dust and dirt. Here is a picture of the nictitating membrane:

[​IMG]

3. lovinganimals

lovinganimals New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    thanks Eggcessive for answering me!!! I have to make a this correction. it is actually a foam formation ( white bubbles) and when this accumulates she tries to clean it by moving her head towards the feathers. Now, she got it in her other eye :( she is not eating much but I tried to feed her soft foods ( blueberries, scramble eggs and bread) she drinks water but she is not that active. Her tail is down ... I know she is not feeling well, and that foam on her eyes is bothering her vision. I will take a picture for you to see it. Thanks again!!

4. lovinganimals

lovinganimals New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    [​IMG]t

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay thanks for the picture. That does look like she is getting an eye infection, maybe a secondary infection from the pox. I would flush it out with saline or eye wash, and try to clean it out with a QTip. Then put some Terramycin eye drops (sometimes available at farm stores-you may need to ask for it,) or plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic ointment in it twice a day. She has a little swelling around her eye. Since pox is a virus, it doesn't help to give antibiotics, but sometimes antibiotics such as Gallimycin (erythromycin) may help prevent some of the secondary infections. Foam in the eye can sometimes be a sign of mycoplasma, but may be from irritation.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  6. lovinganimals

lovinganimals New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Thanks so much for the advice!!! So you think I can buy erythromycin as eye drops? or it has to be the Terramycin eye drops? Your information makes me feel better. At least there is something I can do for her.

THanks for your help[​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Terramycin is eye ointment, and Gallimycin or erythromycin is antibiotic that is put in water. Those may be found at farm stores. Neosporin ointment can be found in any drug or grocery store. If your farm store doesn't have Gallimycin, oxytetracycline would be okay.

8. lovinganimals

lovinganimals New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    [​IMG] THANKS SO MUCH!!! I hope she feels better soon :) I will keep you updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by