1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Giant with possible respiratory infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CastorChicken, Nov 17, 2014.

1. CastorChicken

CastorChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Hey! I have a white giant, 7-8 monthes old who for the past few weeks has been kinda sickly :(. A few weeks ago she threw up while icky looking, but I might have induced that by petting her belly. Now, she is very sluggish unlike the others, and just stands around. I picked her up and she didn't even try to fight to get away. She takes deep breathes with her mouth open and she 'sneezes'. She doesn't cluck much and sounds very congested. I'm afraid with it getting cold (highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s) she'll get worse or die. Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens can indeed throw up if they are held a certain way, or the if the crop is massaged while it is full. I would feel of the crop early in the morning before she eats to make sure it is emptying. Open mouth breathing and sneezing can be a sign of a chronic respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or ILT. Aspergillosis, as disease from mold can also show these symptoms if complicated by a secondary infection. Chickens with respiratory diseases need to be kept warm because they will chill in winter. They may or may not take enough liquids to treat with antibiotics in their water. Tylan 50 injectable is good since it can be given as a shot into the breast muscle (best) or given orally. Dosage is 1 ml if over 5 lb or 1.5 ml if over 10 lb once or twice a day for 3-5 days. For smaller chickens dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, and 1/2 ml for standard chickens under 5 lb. Tylan Soluble Powder can be used in the water, as well as tetracycline drugs and Gallimycin, for treatment of respiratory diseases or their secondary infections. Here is a good link to read about the symptoms of the different diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. CastorChicken

Jun 4, 2014
    No, I can't take her to a vet as theres not a 'bird vet' in the area, we've needed one before and couldn't find one. I do have a tractor supply though. I don't think its mold, the rest of the chickens are acting and breathing okay and there's none in the pen or coop. The coop is cleaned regulary. Aside from a light, do you have any ideas for heating her? I know how to make a chicken vitamin solution that's helped another chicken before that at least will give her vitamins and nutrients. I also have a note/ flea/ tick etc spray that I can put on her, but that could also chill her.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I make hospital cages in my house to keep them warm enough.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine I would treat her very aggressively for worms and probable bacterial infection. I also would tube feed if she weren't drinking/eating enough.

The wormer I would use is Safeguard, and I'd worm five days in a row at 0.23ml per pound.
    The antibiotic I would use is Baytril, and the amount I would use is 0.09ml per pound for no more than five days.

Aggressive care here also includes a thorough exam and daily weighing on a kitchen scale.

Can you post some poop pictures?

FYI, ideal temp for most sick birds is 80-85 degrees.

-Kathy

7. CastorChicken

Jun 4, 2014
    Thanks. I've found using a turkey baster every few hours with a once or half once of the vitamin juice helps. We had a chicken a few monthes ago that was attacked by our dog that I think that stuff helped. It lasted 4 days before being passing away. Unless we isolate her and put her in the garage I can't get poop pictures. Wouldn't worms make everyone sick? They are chickens, so they'll be in any and everyone's poop. Any ideas on adding protein/ grain to her diet? She might be eating idk. The juice is one to two cups water, vitamin one for starter chickens ( various vitamins and minerals) and you can put one to two teaspoons of Gatorade in it and mix it up.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She's sick, so she really does need to be in a warm cage.

Worms are easy to treat, so I just assume they have them and treat with Safeguard. They can have worms and not be sick, so just because your others are fine is no reason not to worm. People don't realize how much fluid a chicken actually needs... Giant white pullet weighs what, 8 pounds? If she's not drinking on her own she should get about 15ml per pound every 6-8 hours, and the only safe way to give that much is with a tube.

Read this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

I can teach you if you want to learn.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The owner of this bird never saw any worms:

[​IMG]

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Here is some Baytril info:

Baytril can also be used for many infections, but always best to have a vet recommend it. [​IMG]

Places to buy it:

Read this about using it:

Dose I use is 0.09ml per pound by mouth or injection for no more than 5 days.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by