White Giants from Sand Hill Preservation

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jerseywhitegiant, Nov 1, 2010.

1. jerseywhitegiant

jerseywhitegiant New Egg

Oct 31, 2010
    Anyone have them ?

2. jerseywhitegiant

jerseywhitegiant New Egg

Oct 31, 2010
    I have heard good things on White Giants from Cackle Hatchery and I have seen pictures of White Giants from Ideal Poultry that looked very nice to. Now I have to pick out of Sand Hill Preservation , Cackle Hatchery, or Ideal Poultry. Please give me your opinion on which one I should choose.

3. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Personally most of the chicks that I've seen that have come out of Ideal are not up to APA standards. They are very miss marked.
    I've dealt with Cakle for quite a few years now, most of what I have gotten from them are very good birds. If not APA standard very very close. I have enjoyed my service from Cackle and I will be using them again in the not to distant future.
    I have never dealt with Sand Hill, but have heard that mostof their birds are good stock.

Remember THe cheapest price (Ideal) is not always the best bird.

4. jerseywhitegiant

jerseywhitegiant New Egg

Oct 31, 2010
    Thank You for the reply Chickanmanfromarkansas. I think I will be going with Cackle Hatchery. [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, not to crash the party, but if we're talking APA Standards - I'm pretty sure your chances with either will be VERY low in terms of getting good quality. Hatcheries aren't breeders - They just look for the hen with the most eggs, not the hen with the best body, weight, comb type, color, etc. [​IMG]

If I were looking for good Jersey Giants I'd go to a breeder. But, alas, I did. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Jan 18, 2010
    I have White Rocks from Cackle. They are about as near to APA standards as any that I have seen from any private breeder.
    And Cackle is a breeder. As many chickens as they hatch and send out to people you can't expect every bird to be up to the Standards of Perfection. I don't think private breeders have every bird that hatches out are up to the Standards of Perfection either.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Cackle is a hatchery. Hence the name "Cackle Hatchery." Otherwise they'd have good looking Wyandottes, they'd have dark egg laying Cuckoo Marans, they'd have real Ameraucanas, and they'd have true to type Orpingtons, Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds. [​IMG]

Of course not every one matches to the standards - That's called Show Quality. But a breeder has the goal of the larger percentage towards the standard. Instead of having one or no birds that go near it, they have all that meet most of the standard.

But, I still doubt Cackle can do such. Even their Brahmas are severely underweight, terribly patterned, and don't have the crown Brahmas should have.

Regardless, this here is about who to go to for good White Jersey Giants, so I'd like it to stay in that direction.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:I'd love to see some pictures of those Rocks. Everything I've ever seen from Cackle looked like chickens & nothing more. Do you have a Standard? Have you shown any of these Rocks?

9. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Jan 18, 2010
    No I do not show. Too many around my area that bring in sick looking birds with waterey eyes and such.
    No pictures right now, my computer is giving me problems about loading in pictures. Sorry.

Cackle is a hatchery. Hence the name "Cackle Hatchery." Otherwise they'd have good looking Wyandottes, they'd have dark egg laying Cuckoo Marans, they'd have real Ameraucanas, and they'd have true to type Orpingtons, Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds.

Their brochure says that we are breeding towards the APA standard.

I don't know, I just know that these are good White Rocks.​

10. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Jan 18, 2010
    I'll try to get pictures this weekend, if it is not raining or I'm not working.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by