White Goo in Chicken Coop! Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Jan 25, 2013.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Today we went outside and saw the chickens around something . It was a solid soft white thing. The chickens pecked at it and white gooey liquid came out. One of them grabbed it and ate it. We have seen these a few times before and I'm starting to wonder what they are. Please help

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Could it have been a soft-shell or shell less egg?

3. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Possibly. all i know is that it disgusting. Is it a problem

4. iluvmypeepslol2

iluvmypeepslol2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Louisiana
    I don't really know what it is you're describing. It could possibly be a part of an egg, or mabey it could even be poop. I dunno. I'm just guessing.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Does it look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=she...f42QXW2IHoAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1280&bih=643

If so it is a shell less egg. How old are your chickens and how long have they been laying? What is their diet? They are not uncommon among new layers and even older hens can have them every once in a while. If you are having them regularly and frequently then it could be that your birds are not getting enough calcium. I would assess and correct their diet right away.

If it does not look like that I would try to get a picture and post so people can help you figure out what is happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by