White/gray wattle and comb - what is it??

Amanda T

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Hi all,

I have six 1-year old chickens that have survived their first freezing cold Minnesota winter. I was out cleaning the coop today and noticed that Lacy's (our silver laced wyandotte) comb and wattle were looking weird - very white-ish/gray. She also started a partial molt last month, I thought it was maybe because it was so freezing cold here (like negative 15 degrees cold) and she was stressed. It seems that her feathers are coming back in and that's all looking much better but her wattle and comb definitely do not look right. Can anyone tell if this is fungal - or anything else? I'm thinking of taking her in to the vet but I thought I'd check here before I panic.
Oh I also treated her and a couple other chickens for what looked like the beginning of frost bite during that month long stretch of sub-zero temps - so could that be what a "dead" wattle looks like? I just have no idea at this point. All input welcome thank you!
P.S. that junk on her beak is food, lol.
IMG_1881.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg

Thank you!! That's what I was kinda thinking but I didn't want to miss it if if was something else yucky.... I am so ready for this winter to be over!! I'm just glad they're finally out and about out of the coop. Thanks a lot for the response :).

I am so ready for this winter to be over too!

I have started burning tires nightly to speed up global warming! I can't believe it is mid march and we are still near zero nightly.

Mine are out of the coop for a while each day, but there is still too much snow for them to enjoy it. I am striking again this time of year, so I refused to plow the last snow. It is taking it's sweet time melting.

Frostbite.

She will be fine. We had a nasty winter for frostbite. I even have inside hens that have frostbite this year.
Thank you!! That's what I was kinda thinking but I didn't want to miss it if if was something else yucky.... I am so ready for this winter to be over!! I'm just glad they're finally out and about out of the coop. Thanks a lot for the response :).

I am so ready for this winter to be over too!

I have started burning tires nightly to speed up global warming! I can't believe it is mid march and we are still near zero nightly.

Mine are out of the coop for a while each day, but there is still too much snow for them to enjoy it. I am striking again this time of year, so I refused to plow the last snow. It is taking it's sweet time melting.

It has been brutal! LOL about the tires, good luck with that. I think you guys got hit worse than we did in the cities but we still have a lot of snow too, it just started melting down so the girls can at least walk around. Hopefully that's what is headed your way soon!

Back
Top Bottom