White Headed Drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LLCoyote, Dec 11, 2011.

1. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Ok, so oddly enough my drake (Welsh HQ) had a totally green head, is now getting white spots. It doesn't look like parasites, is this normal? I think the only harm it's doing is making him less pretty XD but I just want to be sure.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Do you have a pic?

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    It's probably aging.

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:X2 how old is he?

5. LLCoyote

May 24, 2011
    He's barely a year, and I'll try to get a camera working tomarrow. They look like his under feathers. Like if I lift the green feathers, there are white feathers underneath. It's the same type of white.

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Hhhhmmmmm.... Where was he purchused?

7. LLCoyote

May 24, 2011
    http://www.poultryhollow.org/ that is the gentleman I got him from. I can't ask HIM any questions because he's been remarkably unwilling to answer anything

8. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Perhaps he isnt pure bred? I have had mallard base colored drakes have there heads turn whiter as they matured. Often these birds were offspring of Rouen x pekin or Roeun x snowy mallard. Hope that helps

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My chocolate and black runners all have some "snow," some more than others.

As far as I know, it's just a phenomenon among darker ducks - some of them start developing white feathers.

When Sieben's head started getting frosty spots, at first I was concerned, because it looked like her head and neck had mildew![​IMG]

Closer inspection revealed white feathers. Shew!

Zwei has a white apron.

10. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    He's probably just molting. If he's under a year old, then it's about that time for him.
    If he had a completely green head, and now it just looks like he's losing those green feathers, they will grow back. Did you get him before he had feathers? If so, then he should look similar to how he looked when he first grew feathers, before they turned green.
    I have a drake that is molting right now and he looks that way too. It's been about a month and his green is just starting to grow in again. Some stay this way for most of the winter though, and won't grow their "pretty" feathers until mating season in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by