White hen will not move/eat/drink on her own

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bearwear, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Bearwear

Bearwear New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    My less than 1 year old (older than 7months) white hen will not leave the coop, she has been there over a week and lost about half her body weight, she will only eat for what I have noticed when I hand feed her, she seems to still be laying eggs and everything else normal, if I take her out of the fence she will run around, if I put her in the fence she will walk around and act like herself for a bit and then go back inside, I feel like she is not just sitting on the eggs to sit on the eggs because she would take turns with the other chickens, I cannot get a vet to check her out as well, any ideas to what I can do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you sure she is laying because she sounds as though she is broody? Youcould put her in a cage inside the coop for a couple of days with food and water. That way you can observe if she is laying, what she is eating, her droppings, and break her from being broody if that is what is wrong..

3. Bearwear

Bearwear New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    "Broody" what does that mean? That she isn't laying? How is that fixed then? This is my first year with chickens sorry for all the questions

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A broody hen is wanting to hatch eggs to raise a brood of chicks. It is hormonal like pregnancy--they sit in a nest box on eggs in a trance most of the day and night with a few breaks to eat, drink, and poo humongous stinky poos. To break them you have to put them in a cage with no nest, no eggs, some food/water, and a roost if you can. Three to five days may break her broody spell, maybe longer.

5. Bearwear

Bearwear New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    I'll try this, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by