White Hen with some kind of skin condition. Advice plz.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Griddlebone, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Griddlebone

Griddlebone New Egg

Oct 11, 2011
    I have a white hen, not sure what breed was given to me by a family that was relocating. She has some kind of skin condition that is causing her to loose her feathers and they don't seem to be growing back. Her skin is really red where the feathers are missing and I've noticed that her feet are getting pink splotches where they are normally solid yellow. This is my first time raising chickens and all my other hens seem to be perfectly fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:First off, [​IMG]

Glad you joined us!
    Are you sure it is not the rooster being a little bit too…rough? Or maybe a funny molt? Mine look terrible when they molt and it takes forever for some feathers to grow back.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Remember, if a hen loses her feathers, she will not re-grow them until her next molt is over.

4. Griddlebone

Griddlebone New Egg

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:First off, [​IMG]

Glad you joined us!
    Are you sure it is not the rooster being a little bit too…rough? Or maybe a funny molt? Mine look terrible when they molt and it takes forever for some feathers to grow back.

She was having this problem before I ever got my rooster. It might be molt but I'm not sure. The skin feels very dry and flaky.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Were the others in the flock from the same family? She could be molting. It takes a while for new feathers to grow back when they loose them during a molt. She may have mites or lice. You should be able to learn more about how to identify these pests in the "Learning Center" on this site.

6. Griddlebone

Griddlebone New Egg

Oct 11, 2011
    scratch'n'peck :

Were the others in the flock from the same family? She could be molting. It takes a while for new feathers to grow back when they loose them during a molt. She may have mites or lice. You should be able to learn more about how to identify these pests in the "Learning Center" on this site.

I have her sister. She still looks perfectly fine. I've dusted them for mites and lice. That was the first thing I thought of so I treated all my chickens just encase.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by