white holland turkey genes

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
Can anyone explain why white hollands original eye color was blue, but is now officially supposed to be brown for show standards? It seems bizarre to me that if I have a blue-eyed white holland bird and that was the original eye color for the breed that that would make my bird more "true" to species than a later brown eyed adaptation but since I'm new to the turkey and show world, I was wondering if there was a reason for standards to have changed?

You might get a better answer in the turkey forum a little further down the page.

I don't know anything about showing turkeys, but I think your reasoning makes sense. If the blue eye color is what the breed standard used to call for, then blue-eyed birds shouldn't be disqualified or anything. But...things don't always work in ways that make sense!

Quote:
I guess I have to ask.....when was it blue? All turkeys that are recognized by the APA have had brown eyes for as long as I remember and I'm old.

Walt

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

And sooooo true! But still younger than some we know........
old.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

And sooooo true! But still younger than some we know........
old.gif

There is always someone older, but the field is getting smaller. lol We have some old guys in the poultry world, but my competition at the races is never older than me..... not too many guys 73 years old that still race cars.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom