1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Hollands and Flight

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Fat Man, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Quick question, are white Hollands good flyers?

This year we are raising a single Bourbon Red hen. We have been clipping her wings to ensure she goes in the coop and not on the coop at night.

2. mrclif

mrclif Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alabama
    I've got a whiteholland tom thats almost 5 months old he can fly a pretty good distance but he doesnt try to fly very high. His roost in the coop is bout 5' high. Some of my birds will fly on top of the pen when I let them out but he gets excited but he jus hops around but doesnt fly up there.

3. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks for the input. I trying to decide what I'll do next year.

4. mrclif

mrclif Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alabama
    My White holland is my favorite he's like a puppy dog. He's always trying to get me to hold him or get in my lap but he's getting big quick.

5. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    White Hollands will fly and roost as high as they can, when young, my half grown Hollands will roost in the rafters of our poultry barn. Older turkeys prefer to walk and roost lower. I will try to post pictures, so you can see. Remember, Hollands are the largest of the Heritage turkey breeds and get quite large, with a large breast at maturity. They were used to develop the commercial Giant White Hybrid breed sold in grocery stores, today, but they taste sooo much better. We dressed some toms out @18 months for Thanksgiving dinner, last year, over 30 pounds . That's a really big turkey. Very tender and succulent, but one will feed a bunch of people![​IMG] I will PM you with pictures of the dressed out birds. Some people get upset at pictures of raw, dead turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by