white-ish "glob" next to yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by delfargo, Nov 4, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

my hens are starting to lay. i'd guess 4 or 5 of my 26 hens are laying now, and i have read not to worry too much about any egg "abnormalities" this early in the game, but i'm curious.... almost all the eggs i'm getting (only 3 or 4 a day right now) have a white-ish "glob" next to the yolk. i forget what it's called, and i know they are fine to eat, but i'm wondering what the "glob" is and if it goes away the longer they lay. we plan to start selling eggs once we start getting enough "regular sized" eggs, and i think the "glob" might be a "turn-off" appearance-wise to the egg-buying public. any thoughts? thanx.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    That whitish glob is what ties the yolk to the egg white. The fresher the egg, the more glob you see. It is absolutely harmless and not an unappetizing thing. If you look at grocery store eggs, you won't find this size since those eggs may be more than a week old before they hit the shelf. I forget the scientific name for it, but it's a good thing. [​IMG]

Here you go!
    http://www.edinformatics.com/math_science/science_of_cooking/anatomy_chicken_egg.htm

Chalaza chalazae, which are twisted in opposite directions and serve to keep the yolk centered. The more prominent the chalazae, the fresher the egg. chalazae, which are twisted in opposite directions and serve to keep the yolk centered.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i think its called a chalaza (sp)
    its what keeps the yolk and white together

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Chalaza... keeps the yolk from touching the shell. Nature is amazing!

6. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    My husband & I were just talking about this the other day. Thanks for the info!

7. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

thanx for all the in-put, y'all!
    so, the glob is a good thing!
    cool.
    thanx alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by