White Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Minniechickmama, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am trying to decide which if my two WJGs to keep to breed and who should go. They are 7-months old.
    One is quite tall compared to the other. He has a nice balanced shape as viewed from the top, but I would like to see his breast more developed. His neck is longer and straighter and he is overall more lanky than the other.
    The second one is good size, has a nice head and neck. Seems to have as good of balance and shape to him.
    Which is a better feature to look at keeping, the taller bird who may fill out in a year or so, or the more compact looking boy who is just a bit shorter?
    By the way, both of them have legs the color of slate rather than willow, but they have the yellow bottoms. I also have 5 pullets, and only 2 of them have the willow legs. I know willow is desirable, but is the slate a bad thing?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Generally 7 months is too young to be making decisions about jersey Giant males. It takes a year or more for them to mature. That said since both have slate legs neither are of any use as breeders. Also true of your slate legged females. It's not a question of willow being desireable it's that willow leg colour is a defining breed characteristic. Slate legs on a White Giant is a disqualification.

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you REDS. I am going to use the DQs to cross as meat birds, so they will serve some purpose. If I get some willow legs on some of the offspring, then I may try to breed it out until I get some others in here.
    I appreciate the advice, and if I remember correctly you are also a judge and I can take that to the bank.
    I hope it isn't too cold out there in Watkins Glen. We are hitting our coldest weather so far this winter, but the cluckers are doing fine, I even started getting eggs again.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by