??White Laced Red Cornish...Cannibalistic!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heckelfish, Apr 10, 2012.

1. heckelfish

heckelfish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4 weeks old, we have only our list from MMcMurry Hatchery to go by, and all your BYC expert advice and pictures to guess what our 26 chicks are. One of these chicks is really aggressive. It relentlessly pecks at all the other birds. We are handling it a lot, but as soon as we put it back it starts up again. We read on the site that this breed can be cannibalistic, that is one of the reasons we think it is a Cornish. Any ideas? All of the birds are in large boxes in our living room (chicken village) waiting for the weather to get warmer, so we can keep a good eye on the situation. We are a little worried once we are able to put it in the coop.

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

could be wyandottes

3. heckelfish

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    hummmm...we thought wyandottes had a flat comb and not a single straight like comb???

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's a bit early to tell, they very well could be Cornish. I would isolate the aggressive one for a week, and if it's right back to it's old ways, cull it. Putting up with nasty behavior in domesticated animals is counterproductive, and makes your life harder (not to mention all of it's victims' lives). I wouldn't say it's cannibalistic, just mean.

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

cornish have flat combs too. do these have single combs??

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    just sounds mean its not killing and eating its flock mates but i wouldnt keep it with them...it could be cornish but it is a bit early (for me at least) to tell

7. heckelfish

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Thanks for the help. The general consensus is that they are wl red cornish.

We took your advice and separated the one that was really pecking everybody, then put him/her in with some older chicks who picked on him. (It ran). We are also handling him a lot. All of this has helped a little, so we will keep at it. Right now it is easy to keep up with because all the chicks are in Chick Village (my living room) in large boxes, waiting for the weather to warm up to move outside to the coop.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by